A must see site on Bolívar Square is the Cathedral of Colombia, the first church in Bogotá, which was built in 1539 by order of the city's founder, Gonzalo Jiménez de Quesada. The Santa Isabel de Hungría chapel, one of the 12 chapels of the temple, houses the remains of important figures of national history such as Antonio Nariño, Gregorio Vásquez de Arce y Ceballos, and Gonzalo Jiménez de Quesada.
NEARBY ATTRACTIONS AND ACTIVITIES
In Bogotá travelers have access to a range of entertainment that includes around 50 museums, plus fine dining, lively nightlife, and nearby nature reserves.
- A “museum” of curiosities
- Educating Bogotá since 1604
- A legacy of architect Rogelio Salmona
- A performing arts hub
- The city’s founding mythology
- A popular writer’s hangout
- The history of a country
- City Heritage
- The glory days of Colombia’s stars
- A celebration of diversity